Sunday, January 8, 2012

Stay at Home Mom Rambles

I think some people are under the misconception that being a stay at home mom means having all this extra time to do things and get things done or sitting around in a bath robe sipping on a cup of coffee. Eeeeeegh, that is certainly not the case. I have to admit, it erks me when people ask me what I do all day and or say "oh, it must be so nice to stay home" or "I would love to stay home, I would be able to get SO much done during the day". Really? REALLY??

Whenever I am "getting things done" or running errands it's always with a 2.5 year in tote. I very rarely have the opportunity to do anything without taking my two year with me. Even my last hair appointment my 2.5 year old tagged along with me. I feel very fortunate that I get to stay home with Ryan and I wouldn't change it for the world. Are there days that are very long and draining and I feel like I want to poke my eyeballs out with a fork????.....absolutely! Especially if my husband is traveling for work. Those days tend to feel a little longer. But, I look at being a stay at home mom as a job and I take it seriously.

Finding things for Ryan to be involved in and taking him to play groups, play dates, the library, mommy and me preschool, etc certainly doesn't sound like sitting on the couch with a good cup of coffee catching up on my shows kind of days! Not to mention the activities we do together at home...color, practice colors/letters, reading together, play doh, playing trucks and cars. I don't just put on the T.V so I can get stuff done. I get stuff done when I can. Even his nap times consist of me straightening up the house and showering and my workouts happen early in the morning...before Ryan gets up!

It also bothers me when "working outside of the home moms" say that they don't have the time or never have the time to do things that they just assume I have the time for because I am home all day. I get that working full time/part time outside the home and taking care of a family is difficult and crazy busy. Everyone is busy. I can't think of a single person/family who isn't busy. People make time for the things they want in life whether you are working outside the home or in it!

I just feel the need to defend myself and other stay at home moms out there. Staying home ALL day every day with a child or children isn't as glamours and people might believe. It is work. Hard work. I could ramble on for days on how the comments and misconceptions get to me. I guess all that matters is that we are doing what's best for our family and that's what I need to remind myself of. I will also say it's the best and most rewarding job and I am truly blessed that I get to be a stay at home mom to an awesome kid.

4 comments:

  1. I completely get what you are feeling and have heard the comments as well. I don't know why women are so mean to women. I have friends who are stay at home dads, work from home, part time, full time, so many choices. And that's the thing, today most people have choices. You just continue to do what is right for you and your family.
    I personally love being home. It sure beats sitting in an office all day. But there are still long days, hectic days, even boring days just like a job outside the home. Of course most days are pretty amazing ;) Either way it is not for everyone but it is for me and apparently for you too. Don't let anyone get you down cause you get to spend your days with Mr. Ryan and that is a pretty cool job!

    And I don't get half of what I want to get done while home with Mason. It's impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. And I also think sometimes it'd be a whole lot easier to go to work than it is to stay at home with the kids. I think it's more mentally draining that people think. I wouldn't trade it for the world and I had kids because I wanted to raise them, but it's work. There's no doubt about that. You are a wonderful mom!!!

    Love, Sarah Carlson :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! Well said! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this post (as I was reading your 2 year homecoming post:) Oprah once said we women are our own worst enemies! Stay @ home moms feel guilty, working moms feel guilty! UGH! We make choices for the best reasons though! It's the hardest job - no matter what we choose ...and the best job!

    ReplyDelete