Sunday, April 4, 2010

A New Normal

Wow! What just happened? What a crazy week it's been. I'm so glad that things are slowly but surely starting to fall into some kind of routine and life is starting to feel normal again...well a new normal. I keep saying that I'm trying to find a new normal because it's amazing how quickly life can change. It's crazy to sit here and actually think about everything that just happened in the last two weeks. We still haven't had time to even look back on our trip to Korea. It's still so surreal and hard to even grasp everything that happened in such a short amount of time.

We are all finally feeling better and things are a little easier. My entire family got sick too...sorry everyone :(In the last 10 days Ryan has done a wonderful job adjusting considering everything he has been through. Last week we stayed home as much as possible only venturing out to the doctors, grocery store, and Target. We got him on a pretty routine schedule. He wakes up at about 7:30, eats, plays, naps at 10:00am, wakes up at 11:30, eats lunch, plays some more, and then naps again at about 2:30/3 until about 4:00. He eats dinner at 5:30, baths at 7:30, bottle, and then bed at 8:00. He wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle and sometimes struggles to go back to sleep. Considering what his schedule was in Korea, things are going so well.

Saturday was our first family outing at my sister-in-law's house and I have to be honest, I was a little nervous to drive an hour and a half away from home not knowing how Ryan would be. He did great in the car and great at their house. I was so glad we decided to go and things couldn't have gone better. Today we had Easter at my parent's house and even that made me a little nervous. I'm still not that comfortable venturing out all over the place but in time I know it will get easier. But again, Ryan did great. I was so worried that he wasn't going to take a nap at my parents house in his pack n' play, but even that went smoothly and he slept for an hour. He seems to have no problems adjusting to new situations or environments. He loves other people but he is very quick to recognize Joey and I and will reach for us when he's ready to feel comforted. I couldn't be happier that he is attaching so well to us.

Our biggest challenge is getting dressed, undressed, diaper change, and getting his face or nose wiped. We finally got bath time down pat without him screaming, crying, and trying to stand up all while trying to be washed. We are making progress with something different almost everyday. He is such a sweet little boy and I am so thankful that in his in our lives. It's been quite the adjustment and change but I am so happy to have him in my life. He makes me laugh and I love watching him think about things and try to figure new things out. He has such a wonderful, pleasant personality and I am so proud of how well he is adjusting to his new life and new family.










8 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that the transition is going well! You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your schedule sounds amazing...considering what you've been through and the rough start with everyone being sick.

    Such great photos. You look fabulous. I'm pretty sure I lived in a pony tail for weeks and barely even thought about make up or anything for a long time.

    You are doing great...all the outings and road trips?! Whoa...I'm super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that Ryan seems to be doing so well! And I'm glad to hear that everyone is feeling better again. Ryan is such a cute baby--I love his little vest! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that everyone is feeling better! Ryan looks so adorable in his sweater vest:)

    I agree with Janet - you look fabulous! How do you look so good? All of my pictures since Kyle has been home are not great! My hair is up in a bun most days because Kyle loves to play with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing....you look gorgeous!!!! You have a beautiful family!! So excited for you & glad you're home!!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I haven't mentioned it before I LOVE this blog. I am down to checking it every few days. I love the posts that you and Joey do, they are great! I am SO HAPPY to hear that Ryan is doing so well. What a wonderful little guy you seem to have. Stella and Aidan are so excited to see their new cousin! Looking forward to getting together with you when you have the time and you think it's right. :) Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and sweet! So happy we got to see you on Saturday and I loved holding my new nephew/ 2nd cousin:). Sydney couldn't stop talking about her new cousin...Does that make him her 1st and 3rd cousin? Oh boy, talk about confusing! They were so cute together in the pics I took. He looks so cute in that vest too. I can't wait to see our boys in their matching outfits. See you soon...T

    ReplyDelete