Friday, April 16, 2010

Screaming...

While the last three weeks have been wonderful and things really couldn't be going much better, the last few days Ryan has started something new. What you ask? Screaming! Not a screaming like a happy baby scream, it's a blood curdling screaming cry. This then results in him crying so hard that he can't catch his breath. This happens at such random times so it's hard for me to distinguish if it's a result of something specific. The last two nights he woke up in the middle of the night doing this. I rush to his room, pick him up and hold him. As soon as I do that he stops and falls back to sleep. He has been extremely clingy to me which I am thankful for because I am so glad he is attaching to me. However, if I need to wash my hands, pee, make a bottle, he will do this screaming cry. That's when I notice it the most. Sometimes I may leave for no more than 10 seconds and he will do this. Other times he is completely fine with me quickly walking away. Another example is today while I was sitting with him when he was eating lunch. He was laughing and happy just as he always is when he eats and then when he was finished eating he started in on the loud ear piercing scream and then a hard cry. I don't get it and I'm a little concerned. I just wish I knew why he started this and what it means. I can handle the crying, whining, fussiness, but when it comes to screaming, I want to scream!

Other than that he is doing so great. He eats well, sleeps well, plays well alone and with others. He is patient when we run errands and is getting better in the car seat. I'm not complaining, I'm just frustrated at the screaming cry. It's awful. To be honest it makes my blood boil. I just feel helpless when he does this and can't figure out why he is doing this. Hopefully this is just a phase. I love my little boy and he is so much fun and most of the time is a pretty happy baby.

Advice? Words of encouragement?

9 comments:

  1. I don't have any advice for you but wanted to comment on how absolutly adorable your little "peanut" its! I started following your blog while you were in Korea and found myself obsessed with your progress there. My husband and I are also adopting from Korea and reading your blog answered so many questions for both of us. We have enjoyed following your journey and look forward to keeping up with you guys. Hope the screaming gets better!
    T-Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could he be teething? Joel seems to make screaming noises when he is working on some teeth. Or maybe it is part of his grieving process? Other than that, I don't have much advice for you. :( I hope that it is a quick phase or that you figure out a possible reason behind it. Other than that, I'm glad to hear Ryan is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always said my children did something new every month - some good - some not so good. Angela started blood curdling screaming in the middle of the night when she was Ryan's age. She just wanted assurance we were still there - I think as I am no expert. Tony wouldn't allow me to leave his site for several months. He even would stand outside the open bathroom door while I would - you know what. I don't remember exactly when things change, but life did get better. This little guy has been through a lot in the last few weeks. So, as long as he is more happy than sad, I think you all will be all right. I love reading this blog. Please continue. Love, your Godmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the say the same thing as Christine, that maybe he's grieving. My first few weeks with X were hard. He would be happy one minute and then cry really hard the next. It got better though. It sounds like, overall, that Ryan is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette A.K.A Grandma and your mom

    Kari,

    Ryan is doing remarkably well. He is a wonderful beautiful baby boy who loves his mom very much. Have patience like your mom, the one good quality that I do have. Everything is falling into place very nicely.

    Love-your mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaah, screaming. I am all too familiar with that one. Lucy has been screaming at me since day 1, so after almost 2 years of screaming you would think I am an expert ;). Patience isn't always easy but it is always important. Getting frustrated back does nothing but make it worse. I feel like at Ryan'st age it is often frustration (not being able to say what they want, do what they want to do or tell you what hurts would be terribly frustrating). Or sometimes they just need a little reassurance (a cuddle, some love). When he starts getting mad try redirecting him with something else immediately and then comment on how nicely he is playing when he calms down. With Lucy it is often that she isn't getting my attention (especially when I am trying to cook dinner) so I have to ignore her tantrums but in Ryan's case it doesn't sound like he would be anywhere near that stage yet. You're doing a GREAT job. You will get through it. And as soon as you have this little thing mastered Mr. Ryan will throw something totally new and equally frustrating at you :).
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in a very unique position, so it could be many things. I'd say that it's probably what Christine said and if it continues or gets worse, just ask your Pediatrician. I think you are doing great and your instincts and gut will tell you if something is going wrong. Good luck and hopefully this is just a phase that you will look back on and go , huh, in a couple weeks. I think of you guys tons and read your great blog! Maybe I'll see you this spring when things settle down with you guys and us;) I know we're going to be coming down for a Zoo trip once school is out!

    <3 Sarah Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering it just started, I'd say, regardless...it's a phase. But it's probably either a little bit of grieving, or else maybe in his attachment to you he's testing you much like younger babies do. Subconsciously making sure you will come each time he cries. Also, wants to make sure you're not going to leave him. Just give him lots of hugs... he'll get over it.

    And even my bio kids went through night-terror type things around this age and a little older. Sometimes there's no good explanation for it... just give some hugs and it'll pass. If it continues for a long time or gets worse you can always ask for help from more knowledgeable people.

    Encouragement: You have your baby home, to hug when he cries :)

    Blessings!
    CArrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the screaming well!! Not much fun to listen to but if there is something wrong I am sure your instincts would pick up on it!! Ask your Dr the next time you are in with him?? the bathroom thing will never go away--in fact when all the kids were gone to college the cat would either barge into the bathroom and watch or sit outside the door and put her paw under the door!! so I just stopped closing the door and still don't today! Hang in there it will get better Maybe too try some tylenol and see if it calms him for a few hrs????? Those eye teeth and molars are real buggers to cut! Will call you this week. Love and miss you all so much. Wish we lived closer so I could give you a break Love Manna

    ReplyDelete