Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Seoul is Beautiful!

Seoul is awesome! I am so lucky that I've had a chance to see a part of the world that I never would have imagined visiting. It is SO beautiful here and there are so many things that I love about this place. Today we spent the entire day touring around Seoul. We walked over 5 miles at least and did lots of shopping and saw a few beautiful palaces! Joey and I were blown away at outdoor shopping malls. It's insane. It seems to go on for miles and no matter which way you turn there are tons of people and yet another alley filled with shops. We bought a few things for Ryan for when he is older and a few things for ourselves. We tried a couple different desserts as well. We had green tea ice cream, rice cakes, mo-chi, and some other honey/peanut treat. They were all very good. Different, but good! A few highs school kids approached us and told us that they love USA and want to go there. They were so cute. Then a bunch of high school girls yelled from across the street Hiiiiii!!! They were so excited and were laughing and waving! We felt famous for a brief moment! We had a great time today and we are so glad that we were able to see almost the entire city. I can't really explain this place, it's different in so many ways from home yet in some ways it's the same.
Here's a few things about Korea....
-The women are very beautiful and dress very trendy. Almost all of them wear leggings or tights with boots or high heels!
-The men are also dress trendy or wear suits and are much taller than I expected.
-The subway system is very easy to use.
-The food is really good.
-It is very modern here and high tech.
-Everyone is always on a cell phone.
-People try their best to speak English and crack a smile when they are struggling.
-It is very clean here. The streets have ZERO trash on them.
-It smells different than home here but Joey and I both agree that we really like the smell...hard to explain but if you've been here you probably know what I am talking about.
-People do not say excuse me or sorry if they bump into you...you just have to go with the flow.
That's all I can think of. We really like it here and are so glad to have experienced this.

We are both so exhausted right now. We hardly slept last night after meeting with Ryan and I know we won't get much sleep tonight knowing we are getting him tomorrow morning. I am already getting choked up just thinking about him and his foster family. I keep wondering how they are spending their last day with him and how sad they must be feeling knowing that after tonight he won't be sleeping next to them in their bed. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about all this and started crying. The tears wouldn't stop. Believe me, I am so unbelievably happy and excited, but I am also so sad for what Ryan will be going through and what his foster family will be going through as well. Not to mention, tomorrow I am becoming a first time mommy and that too makes me very nervous and scared.

I just want to thank everyone for the comments, love, and support. You guys are all awesome! Ryan has no idea that there are already so many people that love him and can't wait to meet him. Joey and I both consider ourselves lucky knowing we have so many people at home waiting and watching as we begin a new journey. Thanks everyone. I will post a few pics. They really don't do a justice just to how beautiful and unique South Korea really is.














11 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey! It's so great that you both are getting to experience a bit of the culture while you are there. I'll be thinking about you guys as you "officially" become parents (although we all know that you have been parents for a long time now). I'll also pray that the transition is easy for Ryan and his foster parents! And that your trip home is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful Kari! Its so cool you'll have things to give Ryan when he is older. Know, that while his foster family will miss him... they will always play a part in his lives as you update them and share his life with them. Isabel still gets calls from her foster family and we send them updated pictures and letters many times a year. They still remember her birthday :) As they love him as their own... I know that the one thing they absolutely want for him is for him to be happy and have parents who love him, and knowing that he has that will bring them much joy. We'll be praying for everyone in this transition, and for a new foster baby to arrive on their doorstep soon so they have another child to love as they are clearly an amazing foster family and bring blessing to the children they care for. I remember once hearing a foster mom say that she misses the foster children so much when they leave that the only solution is another baby :) The selflessness of these foster families never fail to amaze me. God is SO good :)

    God Bless,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things are going so well and you are enjoying Seoul. This trip and all of the positives you are experiencing, is something you will one day share with Ryan.

    Just yesterday my husband said, "I wish we could go back to Seoul." Then my son said, "I wish I could GO to Seoul!" One day we will return... for all of the wonderful reasons you have listed here. It truly is a beautiful city with beautiful people. One day we will go back... just not as soon as we would like!

    Tomorrow will be bittersweet.... at least it was for us. It is strange to be so overwhelmed with joy at finally receiving the child you waited so long for and for your heart to be breaking for the foster family at the same time. It's normal.

    I am loving following you blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are amazing. The kimchi and green tea ice cream are making my mouth water...
    I knew about the crowds, extraordinarily tall buildings (esp. apts.), super trendy chics, insane amounts of shopping, gorgeous pagodas, and of course the food...but hearing it from a non-Korean perspective is more interesting. Mom says Korean restaurants that serve green tea ice cream (which is what I'm use to) does not justify how delicious it is over there.
    Did you spot any surgically lifted eye lids that look surprising over there, Kar?

    I think you are being an awfully nice representative of Korea. My brother says it is trashy sometimes (with so many people on the streets all moments of the day) and smells really funky...and the air makes his skin break out.
    My cousin (who grew up in Korea) says otherwise. :) She wants to move back.
    I see you took a picture in front of a Karaoke place! Did you go?
    I can't believe you will have a baby tomorrow!! (in a few short hours, really)

    More pictures,please!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kari!

    I LOVE the pictures, you must be using your new lens :) You guys look like you had a great time, I'm so glad you had time to do all that. That ice cream looks really good :) It was nice to read one of your blog entries that didn't make me cry! Although I did have to scroll down and watch the video again, I think I've played it a million times. Mya keeps saying "fast forward to the part of Kari lifting up Ryan." She loves it and can't wait to meet her new cousin. Can't wait to see you very soon! Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so wonderful that you get to experience all of this and gain a son! I know tomorrow will be hard, but you will get through it just like everything else. It will be bittersweet, but something the family has experienced before and they will get through it too. You will all be forever connected. I can't believe you will be a forever family soon...so exciting and wonderful! We can't wait to see you all on Friday. We will keep you in our prayers for a smooth transition and safe travels. Love, T

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way... I love the "Michigan" shirt while in Seoul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We loved Seoul so much, too! It sounds like you are really enjoying yourselves. I felt many of the same emotions and fears that you are right now. It's definitely a bittersweet time! Blessings on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh...I think you pick up Ryan in 1 hour!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo wonderful to read about your journey & see your photos. Brings back such amazing memories from our time in Seoul. We loved it as well. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Lisa...

    Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your son is too cute and he has beautiful smile just like his Mom. I am so happy for you -- Ryan is lucky to have you and Joe as parents. Good Luck today, be safe, and I hope you have a uneventful flight home. Congratulations. See you and your precious son soon.

    ReplyDelete