Sunday, March 21, 2010

We're Here!!!!

Wow! We finally made it to Seoul, South Korea. We just arrived at the SWS House a few minutes ago. I can't believe that I am half way around the world from my house, family, and friends, but just minutes away from my baby. This is the closet we've ever been to him!!!!
The flight from LA to Seoul was very nice. We flew Korean Air on a 747 and it was a smooth flight and the food was pretty good believe it or not. Joey and I both slept for about 7 hours of the flight. I was so excited when we got on the plane and I saw New Moon on the movie list. I haven't seen it yet so couldn't wait to watch it. As soon as we took off I played the movie. The next thing I knew, I was awaken by a very pretty Korean stewardess who asked me if I wanted the Korean or Beef dinner. I was so confused because I was dead asleep. We both chose the beef dinner and it was actually really good....maybe we were just really hungry. I also noticed the credits rolling on the screen. I fell asleep before the movie even started!!!

We arrived in Seoul at 4:40am. We went to get our luggage and wouldn't you know it....one of our suitcases didn't make it on the flight from LA to Seoul!!! It's the bag with all of our toiletries, my make-up, brush, gifts for Ryan and his foster family!! Needless to say I had a moment of freak out and almost started to cry. They are sending it whenever the next flight to Korea leaves. Who knows if it will even make it in time before we visit Ryan and his foster family tomorrow. Oh, and our PJ's are in there too. Oh well! Nothing we can do about that. I just hate that I may not have the gifts with me tomorrow when we meet Ryan and and his foster family. And I will have no make-up to wear! Gross!

Next, we walked out to find a cab and this guy asked us if we needed a cab ride and we of course said yes. We followed him to his black cab van and he drove us from Incheon to Seoul. It was just under an hour. He dropped us off at the Renaissance Hotel because it's just a short walk from there to SWS. Well, I guess the black car van drivers charge WAY more than the yellow cabs do. We were charged $170 dollars when it should have only cost about $80-90! Damn guy ripped us off. We walked into the Renaissance hotel and the nicest guy helped us and told us NOT to take the black van cabs and to take the yellow ones instead. Then, he drew a map to SWS which was supposed to be just a few short blocks. Well, we took a wrong turn and ended up walking WAY out of our way in the freezing cold with all our luggage. We asked someone for directions that barely spoke English but lead us in the right direction and we finally made it here.
I am so tired right now and it is so surreal that we are actually here in Seoul, South Korea. The SWS Guest House is very nice. I just keep thinking that when Ryan was first born, this is where he spent the first few weeks of his life before being placed with his foster family. I am looking forward to getting our tour of this place so I can see more of it.

Not sure what we plan on doing today. I think we are going to take a nap and then venture out....in a YELLOW cab to find a place to eat. I'm SO tired right now I can hardly type.

Mom and Dad...please give Cooper a good neck scratch from us! We will update later....tomorrow we meet Ryan. I can't even imagine how happy my heart is going to feel when I hold him for the first time. I can't wait!!!!!

This is the view out of our room window and then the plane we flew here on!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you guys made it safe...Kari you handeled the missing luggage very well..I have cried over lost luggage on our return flight home before! :) That is awful about the cab thing! Cant wait to hear more about your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray you are there!!! I have been thinking of you guys non-stop. I have been obsessed with tracking your flights, and I am constantly wondering where you are and what you are doing. Good thing I'm family and its not creepy :) Anyways, I agree with Kelly above, knowing my Kari, you did VERY well handling the lost luggage. You are already in "mommy mode" where you can't sweat the small stuff. You are naturally beautiful so don't worry about the make-up thing! I cried reading your blog above and can't wait to hear more. Guess I should have told you my "black cab" story from when I went to NYC. It must be everywhere!! I am so excited for you guys and I love you both and can't wait to have our babies together to play...finally!!! Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only handled it well because I am SO tired so didn't have the energy to cry. I just hate that we don't have the gifts for him and the foster family and I look terrible with out some form of make-up! Oh well. At least we are here safely and tomorrow I will FINALLY meet by baby boy :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAAA!!! So glad you made it safe. We had you both in our thoughts "ALL DAY" Your cab ride sounds like our "meeting with the mexican's" Not Good! Looking forward to hopefully seeing picture's tomorrow. Get some rest and enjoy your time in Korea! I didn't realize it was that big!! We love you both so much and Ryan too. Manna

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are there safely and so close to meeting your son! I just showed Sydney the picture of your plane and Korea and she wanted to know why she couldn't see you on the plane and then laughed and said, "Oh they must be in Korea!" You know her voice and how cute it came out. Both her and Noah are so excited to meet their new cousin. Too bad about the luggage, but in the grand scheme of it all it won't matter, especially when he is in your arms. You will be beautiful to him, because you are his mom and you will forget all about the luggage! No chance of finding a Sephora nearby to buy a little makeup?:) Maybe it will get there, but if not, it won't matter. Besides all of your makeup will wash off with happy tears anyways! Can you go back and give the gifts to them if your luggage arrives before you leave? Enjoy the moment tomorrow and we look forward to pictures. We love you!
    J, T, S & N

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you made it!! I have been thinking about/praying for you both all night and day! I can't wait to hear about your meeting tomorrow! You little one will love you makeup or not (and I give you a lot of credit because when I am tired I cry even more easily, so not crying over your luggage is pretty impressive!). I couldn't be happier for you!!! Love, Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kari and Joey,

    I am so excited you guys made it to Korea safely and before you know it you will be holding your baby Ryan. It is crazy the day is finally here. I have been thinking about you guys and reading your posts. I am so happy for the both of you and can't wait to meet Ryan!! love ya, Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you made it to Seoul safely! I'm SO sorry about your luggage, though. That majorly stinks!! We stayed at SWS, too, and liked it a lot. I can't wait to see pics of you meeting Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah you made it!!! I will check my blog and BB later tonight so if you are up for meeting Tuesday evening, let me know:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi My name is Mary and my husband and I just signed papers to officially accept a Korean Baby Boy today. I am overjoyed! I went searching for info on the SWS Guesthouse that we may stay at and came across your blog. I feel encouraged and touched by your messages. Your baby is precious and adorable! Do you have any photos of the SWS Guesthouse? If you wouldn't mind could you forward them to shilling@cantonlocal.org

    ReplyDelete